Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intakes

Hondafan96
07-04-2003, 01:29 AM
hey, what would be a good intake for a 96 accord? Also, what is the difference between a short ram and a cold air? Would a short air allow dirt and debris into the engine compartment via the ducts from the stock intake? I'm just playing around with the ideas right now, any info will help.

abstract821
07-05-2003, 11:48 AM
A short ram intake pretty much justs adds about 7-10 HP by allowing your engine to breathe in more air. A cold air intake produces more HP and actually cools the incoming air temperature, and deflects heat away from your air tube. This allowas a cooler, denser air/fuel intake charge which equals more HP. I would recomend DC intakes if you wanna go all out and if you have the loot. DC or GREDDY... And debris shouldn't be getting in anyways, especially with a short ram or Cold air intake. The filter is bigger and stops more stuff from getting in..........

rally_lover
07-05-2003, 09:15 PM
First of all, intakes don't add 7-10 hp. That's what people claim, but it's more like 1-2 hp. The truth is that short ram intakes are more of a bother than of any help because all they basically do is "suck in" air as a stock intake. However, the ram is metal, so it gets hot faster. Get it? Before you decide to get an aftermarket intake, you should clean out your stock intake and see if it performs better. Otherwise, get a long ram cold-air intake. It'll have the best result. For anything Honda, the two companies Spoon and Mugen have the best results. Their products also cost a lot...

BullShifter
07-05-2003, 10:08 PM
First of all, intakes don't add 7-10 hp. That's what people claim, but it's more like 1-2 hp. :werd:

I think a short ram intake & stock air intake will perform the same, the only difference will be noise. Is there a point to adding a high flow intake when all your doing is sucking in hot @$$ air heated from the engine?

Cold air may give 1-2HP on a stock engine
Take a race engine & stick a stock intake on it, then compare to a cold air. Thats where 7-10HP #'s come from

:2cents:

Hondafan96
07-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the help everyone, I've been trying to find Mugen parts for a while now and i'm having some troubles. If anyone has any good sites or catolauges please send em my way.

rally_lover
07-06-2003, 01:18 PM
You're right on that, jackassi, but think about it: is Hondafan96's engine a race engine...yet? Most likely not. :bigthumb:

micheal
08-05-2003, 08:11 AM
AEM make a pretty decent CAI - They recemntly released the V2 which in addition to the cold air aspect utilizes sound wave technology to boost hp. what's important in your intake project is to remember that if you go cold be sure to include a bypass valve in your set up because if you get any H2O in your system that 200 dollar mod will set you back a couplke grand.
Good luck.

BullShifter
08-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by micheal
what's important in your intake project is to remember that if you go cold be sure to include a bypass valve in your set up because if you get any H2O in your system that 200 dollar mod will set you back a couplke grand.
Good luck.

The only time a bypass valve is gonna work is if you fully submerge the air inlet under water. IMO they are a complete waste of $$$$. Dont drive in 6" of water and you'll be fine.

d4h8a1
08-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Ive got a 96 Accord EX and recently put an AEM V2 system on it. Now instead of being slow and dogish out of the hole, i had to relearn how to drive the car cuz i was peelin out everywhere i went.

Yeah, Its worth it.

Add your comment to this topic!