Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Solara center brake light

limeyguru
05-24-2018, 11:15 PM
2000 Toyota Solara center brake light not working (both side stop lights work OK) - I checked the LED light module & it is working OK. What is the most likely cause?

Brian R.
05-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Are you getting voltage to the light when you press on the brake? If not, trace the wire back to the brake pedal switch and find the cause.

limeyguru
05-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Thanks Brian. Do you know for sure that the center brake light is fed directly from the pedal switch? The other lights are obviously not because of their multiple functions (brake, turn signal, hazard warning). I was hoping someone might have specific knowledge of the wiring to point me in the right direction so I don't have to tear open the car unnecessarily.

Brian R.
05-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Since it is supposed to light up when the pedal is pressed, it must get voltage when the pedal is pressed. First thing to test. There may not be a direct circuit to the light, but whatever the circuit, the connector which plugs into the light circuit must get voltage or something is wrong. At the other end of the circuit, the pedal switch must trigger the current which activates the light, whether it has a direct circuit or not.

See the following link for a service manual

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxOHlujxTb2udk9VYXJ5REM5ZUk

limeyguru
05-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Brian, many thanks for the manual link - it really helped me to locate the problem. I found a damaged wire in the lighting harness - looked like it was ripped off by a sharp object but I don't know how that would happen as it was protected behind the trunk side trim panel which has never been disturbed as far as I know. Spliced the wire & now the lamp works OK.

Add your comment to this topic!