Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Leaving battery tender unattended?

paqman
04-20-2018, 10:30 AM
My parents are out of country for about a year and asked me to watch over the house. I check in it every 2 weeks. I want put a battery tender on their car, as I drive it around a bit every time I'm there but want to keep the battery topped up. Can I keep it on there unattended in the closed garage and be ok? Or is that enclosed space dangerous?

aleekat
04-20-2018, 04:50 PM
What's the amp charge rate?

paqman
04-20-2018, 11:32 PM
What's the amp charge rate?
My tender says 750mA

aleekat
04-22-2018, 08:34 AM
If it's not a cheapo tender, then I don't see any problem. I know lots of guys who put their bikes up for the winter and use a tender left plugged in.

paqman
04-22-2018, 08:38 AM
If it's not a cheapo tender, then I don't see any problem. I know lots of guys who put their bikes up for the winter and use a tender left plugged in.

Yeah it's a Battery Tender brand one. This one:

Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V, 0.75A Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_baj3AbHPWM2EQ

AUDEW Official
04-28-2018, 01:35 AM
"Tenders" should be fine. They are designed to turn off and on based on current voltage of the battery, so when it drops the tender comes on...

paqman
04-28-2018, 08:05 AM
"Tenders" should be fine. They are designed to turn off and on based on current voltage of the battery, so when it drops the tender comes on...
Thanks!

paqman
04-28-2018, 08:08 AM
"Dangerous" for what?

For winter storage I leave mine on BUT I disconnect the battery ground so the battery is isolated.

I no longer use the under hood power points, having just replaced my LH brain. After that little jewel my paranoia is in high gear.
I just read in the manual that it shouldn't be used in enclosed spaces. I imagine because of gasses or something and a spark happening. And because I come drive it every couple weeks I don't want to disconnect the battery ground, just want to hook it up and go. I've had it on now for a couple weeks and seems to be fine. Thanks!

paqman
05-07-2018, 01:40 PM
interesting thread, I have the same questionhttp://gshort.click/isna/7/o.png

Yeah from this thread I've determined I'm fine.

Add your comment to this topic!