Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2015 Cherokee stalls when cold

kingjames1
04-17-2018, 02:44 PM
2015 Jeep Cherokee
90k miles
4 cyl

My daughters Cherokee started having a problem with this recently. It will stall after driven about a quarter mile. She has to wait a little bit before starting it again. But after it has warmed up it does not stall.

I've included a screenshot from Torque. This is what the 2, O2 sensor's show. Those were the only 2, O2 sensor views available in Torque for this vehicle. That doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't set a code. The car was completely warmed up at this point. She had driven it for about 30 minutes from her home to mine.

Thanks for your help.

rhandwor
05-06-2018, 06:16 AM
They have two systems on a ECU open loop and closed loop. The engine has to be fully warmed up to switch. I would use a scanner and watch to make sure the ECU is showing this. Check if the 12 volt that warms up the oxygen sensors is working. A 4 -wire sensor has a hot feed. A fuse could be blown. You apparently have a good scanner watch fuel mixture also on the sensors.

kingjames1
05-08-2018, 09:23 PM
ok. Next time she's in the neighborhood I'll give that a go and get back to the forum. Thank you.

kingjames1
05-13-2018, 05:44 PM
It finally set a couple codes but didn't stall. Check engine light and battery light both came on when the codes set.

P2172

U1424

I'll have to dig further into this. Never saw a code like those set.

kingjames1
05-14-2018, 09:45 PM
While searching the Internet some people say Jeep's are equipped with a low oil shut off. I never heard of this on big engines but she's going to give that a go. She said the oil was below ADD so she's going to change the oil and see if that fixes things. Some people said it did.

Today the car momentarily stalled, as she was driving, the battery, check engine and 4 wheel drive lights came on. But the car re-started on it's own and she kept going. This happens only about a minute or two into driving from a cold condition. It never does it when it has warmed up. It almost sounds like something is happening when it switches from OPEN to CLOSED loop.

She's going to have to take it to a shop since this one is over my head.

kingjames1
05-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Well, she changed the oil Sunday and hasn't had a problem yet. Oil was 5000 miles overdue and a little below ADD. I'll write back in a couple weeks.

kingjames1
05-26-2018, 08:32 AM
Hmmmm? The oil change seemed to work. It hasn't stalled since then. I never heard of that one.

Add your comment to this topic!