Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help, EGR tube broken

wjamaica4
04-17-2018, 10:09 AM
I have a 1998 Windstar, one of the small tubes on my egr pipe finally broke off. It was lose for some time. However, it is a discontinued part. All of my sources are exhausted for a replacement part. Just wondering, I do have the pice that broke off, is it possible to weld or braze it back into place?

tomj76
04-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Brazing or welding is possible with steel. Brazing is much like soldering but at a much higher temperature. Brazing works best when capillary action can draw the molten metal into the joint (like in soldering). The best choice of filler metal is silver, but it works best when tight fitting joints are brazed. The big advantage of brazing is that it doesn't melt the metals that are joined, only the filler.

Welding is obviously an option, but I think this would be a difficult weld to make, since you run the risk of melting the small tube. Also the final joint may have holes.

Another option might be a high temperature epoxy, particularly if you can reinforce the joint with a second larger or smaller pipe. The reinforcing pipe should have an inner diameter that matches the outer diameter of the EGR tube, or outer diameter that matches the inner diameter of the EGR tube. Once epoxied (or brazed), the reinforcing pipe will give extra strength to the joint.

12Ounce
04-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Is yours a 3.0? Summit claims to have a Dorman # 598-111 that may work for you ... at under $50.

wjamaica4
04-22-2018, 10:00 PM
I like the idea of the tube within a tube. My engine is a 3.8

Add your comment to this topic!