Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Filter removal 2003 Sonoma

saints0513
03-03-2018, 03:56 PM
I can't believe I have to post this, but I am. I was out of town for a couple days, talked to my son yesterday who wanted some cash to go do something with some friends. Negotiated him changing my oil, cleaning a few other things up, etc. I came home today and he is in sheer panic mode. He drained the oil, but then the filter did not want to come off. He tried a couple things that work on his car, then tried the screwdriver trick, and ended up shredding the canister trying to work it different times. Its down to the nub, I've messed with it for a half hour or so, doesn't seem to budge. I need a tip/trick to get this off if anyone has one. This is what I have now:
http://i63.tinypic.com/2i7bdpw.jpg

Afterwards I will then try to wrap my head around how a simple oil change ended up at this:banghead:. Thanks in advance.

777stickman
03-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Ouch!!! I have come close to that, but have been able to work it out. Your issue and mine is too much torque and/or no lube on gasket on the filter install. The only thing I can see is to make up some kind of spanner thing that can get into 3-4 of those outer holes to be able to ratchet it off. Really ugly thing!! Good luck to you.

Blue Bowtie
03-04-2018, 07:59 AM
Those remaining holes may be your only chance, so be careful not to damage them. I know the area is tight, but if you have an air hammer and a long, angled chisel it may fit and give you some relief. I had one stick on an Astro AWD - Similar problem. The filter cans are so thin these days that they collapse very easily, so your "trainee" may not be completely at fault.

Tech II
03-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Agree, either cranked on(needs only 3/4 of a turn) or no oil on the gasket.....

When using a reg oil filter wrench, should always grab as close to the top as possible......even the "cups" that fit over the bottom can twist that sucker if tight......

Blunt chisel into those holes at the right angle.

saints0513
03-08-2018, 03:51 PM
as an update, I used a propane torch to heat that thing up hot enough to finally come off. Once it got hot enough, used a ratchet tool to grip it and it turned. Thanks for everyone's help and tips.

Blue Bowtie
03-10-2018, 08:19 AM
I hope this knowledge was passed along to your squire. I'm betting this doesn't happen again in your fleet.

Add your comment to this topic!