Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya, 1/18 Nissan R381

DRUMS02
02-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Last year I tried to post this but I believe it was when Photobucket was changing their ability to post to third party locations. Now I use Imgur, lets give this another try.

This is one of the early Tamiya kits. It was designed more as a motorized toy than a detailed model. The entire front and rear suspension was only 5 parts (combined) and nothing like the actual car. Originally it had no inner structure, chassis, etc. ; basically an outer skin, a very basic interior and roughly a 10-12 piece engine.

I was fortunate enough to locate a book from Japan with outstanding detailed photo references. My goal was to create an accurate replica of the car on race day. I could never have accomplished this authenticity without the book and various You-tube videos.

I've since scratch built an entire authentic substructure, inner-fender wells, full tube chassis, front and rear suspension, and totally wired and plumbed the entire car. I also made numerous modifications to the body and beneath it. The driver was sourced from another 1/18 Tamiya kit and greatly modified to have him steering and shifting. All of the modifications to this kit were completed in brass, aluminum, solder, plastic, PE, cloth, etc. I also used several after-market suppliers for the hoses and fittings.

Hope you have as much fun viewing it as I did making it...... your constructive feedback is greatly welcome.

Till next time.....

Veyron
02-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Looks great! Nice to see one so well built.

Plastheniker
02-13-2018, 03:30 PM
A very interesting view upon Tamiya's early days (the mid-seventies?). I have never seen this kit finished before. Particularly considering the age of the kit the result looks fantastic. Beautifully done!

DRUMS02
02-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Thanks Jurgen; coming from you I really appreciate it.

allnie
03-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Fantastic

Add your comment to this topic!