Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2015 Camry SE Rust issues

lemonmint
01-06-2018, 12:07 AM
I bought a used car recently with 20K miles on it and took it to Toyota service center for pre-purchase inspection and came to know of rust issues. The car has been in Ohio (cold/snow/salt exposure) for the past few years with no issues mentioned. The following are the issues mentioned:
1. Break rotors corrosion at the edges
2. Rusting on Muffler/Pipe assembly
3. Front CV axle corrosion

I will be driving the vehicle in Texas mostly around Austin area which is neither cold nor humid. I have an option to return the vehicle with little hassles but I really like the car (no other issues at all) and would keep the vehicle if any remedial/preventive measures would help me. Can anyone help me with questions like:
1. Is this common in North America (salt belt - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Belt)? If so, what measures do they take to avoid this issue or to prevent it from spreading?
2. How to know if the rusting is surface rusting and can it be avoided/repaired with minimal cost?
3. Is this something to be seriously taken and return the vehicle at any cost?
4. Would manufacturer's warranty cover such a thing?

Any or all the suggestions and help is appreciated.

shorod
01-06-2018, 08:09 AM
I don't see anything in those images that would be considered abnormal or something to be concerned with. Spending any time driving on rain-soaked roads would likely cause the degree of surface rust shown in those images. I'm surprised the person doing the inspection even mentioned any of those items as they are very minimal and no "repair" or removal of that surface rust should be required or expected.

-Rod

Stealthee
01-06-2018, 09:38 AM
None of those issues are structural. They also are easily "repairable". The rust on the edge of rotors happens on every car that sees road use. Everything else is normal surface rust.

Mike Gerber
01-06-2018, 02:25 PM
I would have to agree. These items look normal to me. These are items without plating and will get surface rust like this very quickly in northern states. Nothing to worry about.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!