Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Static in radio

dna9656
12-31-2017, 03:58 PM
I got static in my after market radio. I have grounded the radio's case to no avail so I think it must be on the + line. It comes from he brake light switch, power windows and other on/off switching. Ideas?

Stealthee
12-31-2017, 04:38 PM
You have any LED lights? LED's put off a frequency that can interfere with radio.

dna9656
12-31-2017, 04:43 PM
You have any LED lights? LED's put off a frequency that can interfere with radio.
yeah the PO installed LEDs in the dome positions but while I got a steady hum (and that's prolly the LEDs you mentioned that I had not thought about) This static clicks when you apply and release the brakes or operate the windows.

j cAT
01-01-2018, 07:34 AM
grounding the radio case is not a common task as it is grounded when mounted. is this radio with a proper interface connector ? if not then purchase one and it should work out . the speakers must NOT be using the metal sheet metal of the vehicle. OR touching the sheet metal ...as a return to amp.

dna9656
01-01-2018, 10:09 AM
grounding the radio case is not a common task as it is grounded when mounted. is this radio with a proper interface connector ? if not then purchase one and it should work out . the speakers must NOT be using the metal sheet metal of the vehicle. OR touching the sheet metal ...as a return to amp.

Thanks for responding!
The PO (Prev. owner) CUT the factory connector OFF and used BUTT connectors to join Pioneer's wires to GM's. The radio is mounted with plastic brackets so the only thing left was the rear bracket/brace and it's screwed into plastic as well so I grounded the chassis of the radio. The Truck came with a premium sound system so the speakers don't have to use chassis ground to work. I think there is something going on with the power supplies to the radio, I think the radio might be connected to a circuit that isn't shielded.
Your thoughts would be appreciated!

j cAT
01-01-2018, 11:15 AM
the radio most likely not the problem but with the hacker connections that is most likely the cause.. check that the radio is connected to the radio fuse . pull fuse .. then radio ground where is that connected possible wrong wire .

using the harness radio adapter for a after market radio this most all times has no issues .. a lot of wires so could be connected wrong ..

one example radio is always on with key in your pocket ....

aleekat
01-01-2018, 11:25 AM
I got static in my after market radio. I have grounded the radio's case to no avail so I think it must be on the + line. It comes from he brake light switch, power windows and other on/off switching. Ideas?
I would remove the power line from the brake switch and connect it to the factory + for the radio.

Add your comment to this topic!