Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Sonoma won't start

saints0513
12-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Yesterday I started my truck to warm up, since it was cold outside, went back out about 5 minutes later, it was off. Tried to start it up, it cranks but will not start. Dash lights up, everything seems normal except starting it up to drive. Battery is about 2 months old, I have good voltage, it was running fine all week, no issues, but now, it nada. Which direction should I look in?
THanks.

harleyguy
12-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Check spark and for fuel psi... on second thought a few years back I had a Lexus show up on a tow truck same problem you have. Check to see if it has fuel.

saints0513
12-10-2017, 06:54 PM
it has fuel, and it isn't giving me any codes.

Blue Bowtie
12-10-2017, 09:22 PM
It has fuel, but what fuel pressure? Without the minimum 56 PSIG you can forget about it ever opening the injectors.

Tech II
12-11-2017, 08:37 AM
Spray carb cleaner into the intake, and then try to start....if it almost starts or starts and then dies, you know it's a fuel delivery problem.....

As Blue Bowtie says, you may have pressure, but not quite enough....if you sprayed carb cleaner and then it started and continued to run, then the first thing I would do is replace your fuel filter.......if that doesn't take care of it, then it's a possible pump....

saints0513
12-11-2017, 06:36 PM
sprayed the fluid in the intake, started up and then immediately died. And I replaced the fuel filter yesterday.

harleyguy
12-11-2017, 06:45 PM
sprayed the fluid in the intake, started up and then immediately died. And I replaced the fuel filter yesterday.

Check fuel psi

brcidd
12-13-2017, 03:06 AM
Listen for fuel pump to come on- put ear to filler tube when ignition is turned on. Should hear it run for 2 sec and shut off.

If not-- the have assistant run starter while you lay on ground and whaaaaaaaap fuel tank with palm of your hand several times. If fuel pump comes on and engine starts, you have just diagnosed your worn out FP.

saints0513
12-14-2017, 08:05 PM
I got my wife to crank it while I hit the tank, first time it seemed like it wanted to start, the second time it did start. It ran for 10-15 seconds, then died.

brcidd
12-15-2017, 01:08 AM
It'd be real good to have pressure gage attached and let wife watch it--Probably died after pressure dropped- indicating a bum FP.

When I change a FP on a pickup I use my engine hoist to lift front of bed up 2-3 ft, no need to drop tank that way- just take out six bed bolts, no need to unhook electrical to taillights if you do it right- be careful not to stress electrical lines though. Easier to change FP sitting up then laying under truck. Lines to tank are easier to unhook, not stressing them etc. Just need to blow dirt off top of tank etc...

saints0513
12-15-2017, 04:19 PM
got a new fuel pump last night, just got the bed lifted and braced, I agree, it will be much easier than dropping the tank and doing it. I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions, thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!