Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2016 5.3L Sputter

sreilly77
10-16-2017, 09:58 AM
I have a 2016 Silverado with about 24,000 miles. I bought it new with 9 miles on it, and drive mainly highway, some stop and go, and perform some moderate towing a handful of times throughout the year.

The truck has ran flawlessly, but there is one little quirk I've noticed just recently. If I am at a complete stop, and press the accelerator more than 1/4 of the way (say trying to make a left hand turn against on coming traffic), the truck sometimes sputters a bit, and RPMs will drop below 500 before kicking right back up and giving me a jolt of power. The truck does not stall out. It happens at random times under various conditions. I just finished a 800 mile trip this past weekend, and even blew it out at WOT on a straight away on the way home. And she's definitely planted me in the seat!

The oil is changed every 5,000 miles, and the air filter was changed about 5,000 miles ago (I perform all maintenance myself). Fuel mileage hasn't changed either (with an empty bed, I get about 15-16 mpg city driving, and 20-22 mpg at cruising speeds on the highway). I'm wondering if I just got a bad tank of gas, but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I have not taken to the dealer yet since it is still under warranty. The CEL is not on, and had no codes on the scanner.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

j cAT
10-16-2017, 04:19 PM
fuel pressure controller ..............

sreilly77
10-17-2017, 06:29 AM
fuel pressure controller ..............

Well that wouldn't be good for a truck that's only a year and a half old. Remember the days when it was as easy as replacing a fuel pressure regulator, or a simple in-line fuel filter??

My good friend has his own shop and has a Tech2 scanner. I'll have him plug in and see if anything comes up. Thanks for the input.

j cAT
10-18-2017, 07:35 AM
[quote=sreilly77;7204925]Well that wouldn't be good for a truck that's only a year and a half old. Remember the days when it was as easy as replacing a fuel pressure regulator, or a simple in-line fuel filter??

My good friend has his own shop and has a Tech2 scanner. I'll have him plug in and see if anything comes up. Thanks for the input.[quote]

wiring issues probably.

I do like the return fuel system as this does filter the fuel as the excess is returned to tank. fuel stays cleaner . with short trips the old system is better. GM does save $$$ by changing this to the one way flow.

It is also done to keep the fuel cooler than the return system. so cooler fuel creates less vapor but these vehicles now made over the last 15 years have an extremely tight fuel vapor system so I only see this just to create more GM profit , more failure prone and EXPENSE fix .. if this is damaged it must be programed to the vehicle !!!

Add your comment to this topic!