Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 MGM detonation/hesitation/misfire SOLVED

Chromehero
10-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Recently bought an 97 MGM with 160k miles. As soon as I got it home, about one mile from where I bought it, I got a check engine light. It ran okay, and I checked all the usual culprits, so I let it go until I could giv ethe car a thorough going over.
Drove to work, ~30 min drive up and down hills, highway speeds, long hills. Had hesitation, detonation (pinging/ticking from engine as if timing was too far advanced), lack of power, bucking, and occasionally, the check engine light would flash.
Went to Oreilly's and they read the code: Cyl 6 misfire. That was the ONLY code it had, but with multiple instances. With so many miles, I replaced the coils (~36 from Amazon), and used contact cleaner on the MAF, reset the computer. Made it better but not solved.
Went to junk yard and got matching spark plug wires from a Lincoln for $5, and a spark plug for $8 (double iridium), reset computer again.
Problem went away...I mean ALL the symptoms went away. On long uphills in top gear and trying to stay at the speed limit, I hear something that might be very minor detonation, but all the other symptoms are gone. I assume the wire went bad causing the misfire, which caused the plug to foul, making the matter worse.
Just wanted to share a success story, and how it was done. Thank you AF for all the advice!!

Add your comment to this topic!