Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Pedal goes 2 inches from floor before engaging

Laduca
09-28-2017, 10:41 AM
Good day to you all. I’m gonna try this because I’ve run out of options on what to do. I have an issue with my brakes where the pedal goes to about 2 inches from the floor before the brakes engage to slow the car. I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla, S 1.8L 1798CC L4 FI VIN: L-2ZRFE engine. This is what I have done so far…..

· Replaced Master Cylinder
· Replaced back brake shoes
· Rear Drums, smooth
· Replaced rear brake cylinders
· Replaced Brake Booster
· Replaced Vacuum hoses from booster to engine
· Bled brake lines, 5 times per wheel

Each time I drive, it takes almost the full travel to approximately 2 inches from the floor before the brakes engage to slow car. When car is turned off, brakes feel solid, takes effort to press down.
NOTE: Front brakes pads, rotors and calipers are all in new(ish) condition.
I have done the reverse, hitting the brakes, pulling the emergency brake to make sure the back brakes are adjusted. When back brakes were replaced, drum was placed on and there was little friction when turning. I also found a gravel parking lot and slammed on the brakes to initiate the ABS system.
I am gonna try a re-bleed once more tonight, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted any and all resources in determining the cause of this issue.
NOTE 2: When pressing the brake, I hear a very shot hiss coming from the underside of the hood. I cannot pinpoint it directly, but it is only when the engine is on and the brake pedal is pushed.

Brian R.
10-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Replace the hose leading from the engine to the brake booster behind the master cylinder. It may be leaking. Also check the connections the hose is connected to.

Add your comment to this topic!