Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Confused

Primal SMX
11-15-2001, 04:50 PM
I got my new O2 sensor from Nissan and went to install it. The wires were only about half the length of the original so i went about cutting them and putting in longer wire in order to solder them all back together. I even practiced on some other Audio wires that i had lying around, in order to get the solder joins strong and clean. What i did not realise was that the wires of the O2 sensor are some kind of heat resistant wire and everytime i tried to solder then the solder would just fall straight off! Did i miss something as i thought that it was said somewhere on the forum to just solder them together? I ended up and crimped them together which seems to work fine but it is just really untidy! Did i miss something?:(

kenchan
11-16-2001, 12:14 AM
your soldering iron might be too low of a wattage. are you using anywhere near 80watts or more? those larger guage wires are harder to heat up... the solder will not flow onto cold surfaces.

criming is okay too, but i dont trust crimps (just my thing)

Primal SMX
11-18-2001, 01:50 PM
Hey thanks kenchan, yea my solering iron is only a 55 watt one so that would be the problem! The crimps seem to be holding up but i'm not sure for how long or wether the connections are as strong as they should be, maybe i'll buy a higher wattage soldering iron and try that again. Thanks.:)

ricecube77
11-18-2001, 04:05 PM
get a Bosch one :)

Connector and everything!

-Phil

Primal SMX
11-18-2001, 04:17 PM
The factory one that i got from Nissan is actually a Bosch item, and yes it came with a connector and all, including the wires that were too short!:(

Primal SMX
11-18-2001, 04:25 PM
I went and seen an Auto-electrician and he said that they cannot be soldered back together. He said that he would have used crimps too if he had of done it! Now i'm really confused! The O2 sensor is the three wire version that i was told is in all PII's, could it be different in my country??:rolleyes:

Add your comment to this topic!