Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Maxima alternator replaced still having issues

Universalwheel
09-05-2017, 03:44 PM
So about 2 weeks ago I was driving when my dash battery light and brake light came on at the same time and stayed on. After a quick Google search I assumed it to be the alternator and then most tell-tale alternator signs happened (all the dash lights came on, headlights started dying, radio started dying, then car eventually completely stopped running). It was parked about a mile from my house so I had AAA jump start it and it made it home.
Got a refurb alternator and had a friend install it but I admit that he's not the most trustworthy person so I was nervous about him doing it. Cut to a week later, new alternator is installed but when we start up the car the belt is clearly not on correctly because it starts smoking with burning rubber smell. He re-aligns the belt and it seems to work fine. I drive the car 2 miles away to get dinner and back home, and when I pull into the driveway the dash battery light and brake light come on at the same time again, but just flickering now. My question is do y'all think I got a bad refurb or could a bad installation be causing this? After the friend did it he even left a bolt loose on the belt and it was rattling so I had to tighten that. Does this sound like a loose connection somewhere that can be fixed by a real mechanic? Thanks so much for the help!!

Stealthee
09-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Could be a bad refurb, or it possibly could end up being the bad alternator took the battery out

Universalwheel
09-05-2017, 10:20 PM
I replaced the battery as well after the alternator because it was bulging and AutoZone confirmed it was no good. I'm guessing the bad alternator fried the original battery, but now I have a new one

Stealthee
09-06-2017, 05:06 AM
Then I would go with bad refurb.

Add your comment to this topic!