Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 S10 - rotates but won't spark

quickdeath
08-06-2017, 12:36 PM
2001 Chevy S10, 2.2l 5speed. (~76,000 miles)

On my way to work a few days ago the engine cut out and wouldn't restart. After towing it home and recharging the battery (hazard lights being left on probably drained it), engine will rotate, but doesn't sound like it fires. I pulled a spark plug out and had a helper crank the engine.
Did get smell of gas after a couple cranks, so I believe I have fuel. Also was able to hear the fuel pump when ignition was turned to on.I've checked spark on three plug wires so far, cylinder towards front of engine sparks blue, middle two spark yellow.

Is sparking yellow enough of an issue to prevent engine from firing? Plan today was to test that coil pack, however I'm trying to figure out how to get to it. Is going through the wheel well the best way to access the coils?

Tech II
08-06-2017, 04:33 PM
Test it with a spark tester....

quickdeath
08-08-2017, 06:32 PM
No real point in checking with a spark tester. Found out the timing chain broke. I've been seeing a lot of mixed things about this engine, some people claiming it is interference some people saying not. I'm trying to decide if its worth throwing a new chain on it and hoping for the best, or if the odds of bent valves or other damage makes it not worth it.

Add your comment to this topic!