Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil pressure sending unit broke off.

Bradzilla9876
07-23-2017, 01:10 PM
So I was attempting to replace the oil pressure sending unit on my 1987 r10 pickup (305) when the nipple broke off flush with the block. I have tried getting it out with an easy out but having no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do to get it out? Should I try to use a file or drill it out? Im open to anything at this point. Thanks for any help.

maxwedge
07-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Careful here, most methods will cause metal chips to fall into the hole. Is the tube cast or brass?

Bradzilla9876
07-23-2017, 05:41 PM
It's brass. Do you any ideas that would be safe?

maxwedge
07-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Unusual for brass to seize up in the block, ,a properly sized easy out didn't work? Try getting some PB blaster down in the threads, overnight soak. Get some grease around the area to catch chips , best you can do as the brass is not magnetic.

Bradzilla9876
07-23-2017, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it was cracked by the previous owner. It was leaking oil around it and snapped as soon as I put a wrench on it. I'm going to keep working the easy out after I soak it in blaster. I appreciate the advice and will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

pitts64
11-25-2020, 09:02 AM
Be careful with those easy outs they brake too.. Then you are in trouble.
I would start with taps. Start with the smallest one that fits inside the brass and thread. Then the next size up and up until its all gone..

Or if you have another place to pick up oil pressure, just run a sheet metal screw into the brass.

I always wanted to try a counter clockwise screw into one of those deals...

My dad use to get a small chisel and work the broken piece until it screwed out. I don't have patience like that lol..

Ol'Jim
01-07-2021, 09:00 AM
Did you have any luck removing the broken sender? If you have not already done so, an immediate oil and filter change afterward would be a really good idea.

pitts64
01-08-2021, 06:22 AM
The good news is its brass which is soft and will not ruin any of the hard parts in the engine...

Ol'Jim
01-08-2021, 06:43 AM
The good news is its brass which is soft and will not ruin any of the hard parts in the engine...
True, fragments of brass would most likely not lock up the oil pump. Hopefully would get trapped by oil filter before they get to bearings.
Just realized original post was over 3 years old, so I imagine he got it figured out. :smokin:
Hey Pitts, I like your Pontiac. Darn avatar pics are so tiny on here, looks really nice! I had a 63 Bonneville, and a 65 Catalina, both back in the mid-late 70's.
Liked the ol' 389's, those engines ran really good. :smile:

Add your comment to this topic!