Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

You Can't Believe What's in Your Cooling System !

DOCTORBILL
07-18-2017, 10:46 AM
I recently posted a THREAD here about my Radiator - which no one has replied to......

Anyway - I bought a new radiator because my system was overheating.
It was 27 years old......

Once the old radiator was out, I BACK FLUSHED my engine with my Garden Hose and discovered a LOT of "Stuff" was in the cooling system !

Here is what came out after back flushing five times with the Heater Lever in the ON POSITION !
BACK FLUSH = Running the water backward thru the Thermostat Port WITH THE THERMOSTAT OUT !

https://s19.postimg.org/ff86q1b6r/Coolant_Crap_in_Engine_Block_B.jpg

This loose trash (some of it 1/4 inch long!) would block up the new radiator tubes withing a few minutes of starting up the engine ! It also blocks the Heater tubes and cuts down on your car's heater output....

My advice (for what it is worth) is - back flush your cooling system every couple of years to get chunks of rubber (peels off old hoses ?) OUT of there !

DoctorBill

Stealthee
07-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Just so you know the coolant flows through the heater core whether the heater is on or not. The change in vent position is what decides in if you get heat or not.

Also getting garbage in the coolant system happens on every car. This is why it's recommended to flush and change the fluid on regular intervals.

Add your comment to this topic!