Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to Do Repairs to Leaking Fuel lines??

1999montana
06-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Well, we still have the '99 Montana EWB. 294,000 Kms and running, well not without a new gas leak.

Not sure of the best way to approach it, and I wonder if anyone has done this repair yet? Best way to fix it?

I discovered the fuel line (actually the Return line, I think) was leaking on Sunday, possibly in two places as it passes through the plastic tunnel in the cross member underneath the driver's feet.

Our local repair shop may have an easier way to fix it, in which case I may consider that too.

It looks like it might be a 3 to 4 hour job to make enough room to get at the Evap, Return and Fuel lines up top and re-route them down through the cross member and reconnect them to the tank connections. So the labor alone will be in the $300 range.

All the steel line pieces are rusted way too much for my liking.

Anyone done this repair, and if so what is the safest way to fix it properly?

Tech II
06-27-2017, 07:59 AM
If it is a return line, the pressure is much lower......

I have seen repairs like this, where, guys have just cut out the line, and done one of two things......overlap the ends of the cut lines with flexible fuel hose, and double hose clamp each end.....have seen lines replaced with steel lines, attached with compression unions.....you would never use compression fittings on a brake line, because we are talking thousands of pounds of pressure......fuel lines are usually under 50 psi.....in my case, I prefer flaring the lines myself....

Here in New England, where we use a lot of salt in the winter, brake lines and fuel lines, are always being replaced...

1999montana
06-27-2017, 08:17 AM
If it is a return line, the pressure is much lower......

I have seen repairs like this, where, guys have just cut out the line, and done one of two things......overlap the ends of the cut lines with flexible fuel hose, and double hose clamp each end.....have seen lines replaced with steel lines, attached with compression unions.....you would never use compression fittings on a brake line, because we are talking thousands of pounds of pressure......fuel lines are usually under 50 psi.....in my case, I prefer flaring the lines myself....

Here in New England, where we use a lot of salt in the winter, brake lines and fuel lines, are always being replaced...

Thanks for the reply. I like the compression union thought. Using Copper Nickel bendable tubing would seem possible.

Two Questions:

1. Can I use compression couplings (with farel rings) to rejoin the factory nylon ends to the Co / Ni tubing? Looks like the factory stuff is metric, but I think I can use 1/4" and 5/16" SAE sized tubing to reconnect.

2. Do you know if rolling the engine forward will give me more access to the lines at the rear near the firewall?

Had the brake line tubes all replaced with Co / Ni from the ABS to each wheel last year. Probably should have done the fuel lines then too.

I'm invested in it now, (complete brake overhaul, new tires, trans rebuild in 2011) and since it only needs a few fixes beyond the fuel lines it's a shame to send it to the bone yard.

Add your comment to this topic!