Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shudder at around 60mph - 2005 Malibu Maxx

nemets88
06-23-2017, 07:51 PM
My 2005 Malibu Maxx is shuddering/vibrating aggressively at around 60 mph. Just did a tune up, trans fluid change, suspension appears to be solid. This started up a few months ago and doesn't happen all the time. Can't figure this one out. Any ideas? Thanks!

maxwedge
06-23-2017, 08:32 PM
Wheel tire vibration? Engine misfire, not enough info to give advice from here. Up hill, steady load?

nemets88
06-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Wheel tire vibration? Engine misfire, not enough info to give advice from here. Up hill, steady load?

Thanks for the quick reply. Possibly a wheel tire vibration. I had the tires balanced, no dice. No engine misfire. Steady load. Happens most noticeably when traveling on a flat, straight, smooth road. Once it starts to vibrate/shudder, I can let off the gas and it becomes more aggressive as the car slows down. Does not happen as a cause of braking.

maxwedge
06-24-2017, 06:45 AM
Better description, check the front axles shafts, particularly for bad inner joints, bad tires in respect to road force variation issues also, this requires a special balancer.

CapriRacer
06-24-2017, 07:44 AM
A quick test:

Is the vibration in the steering wheel (front end issues) or through the seat (rear end issues). Then rotate the tires, front to rear.

If the problem is tire and wheel related, the vibration will move. If it doesn't move, the problem isn't tires and/or wheels.

maxwedge
06-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Good advice unless in the unlikely case it is all 4. Tough to give meaningful help from here, of course.

Tech II
06-24-2017, 01:37 PM
What bugs me is, he says it doesn't happen all the time....bad tires/out of balance tires will.......

maxwedge
06-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Agreed, but combine a little bearing play and that condition can be cyclical under the right conditions, all theoretical of course. Frt axle inner tripots can cause this if they are binding up.

nemets88
06-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the tips. It bothers me that it doesn't happen all the time, because it makes it hard to diagnose.

When it vibrates or shudders, it can get pretty violent - the steering wheel, seats, floor, basically feels like the whole car.

I checked the tires - visually, they appear okay, but I know they are pretty old. Rotated them last night and took it for a drive, and of course I couldn't get it to vibrate real bad like it can sometimes. Maybe felt like the vibration moved toward the rear, but maybe that was just wishful thinking.

My next stop was to maybe just replace outer tie rods anyways, just in case. I also planned to check the axles. What is the best way to do this? If I grab the shaft, should I try to just move it around and see if it has any play?

maxwedge
06-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Actually the inner tripots binding can reall only be checked when removed.

nemets88
06-25-2017, 08:03 AM
Okay I just jacked the car up and inspected CV axles. Moved them around a bit with my hand inspecting for play. Boots appear okay, no rips or tears. Passenger side (more suspect for the vibration) moves in and out a little and makes a clunk sound when I do this. Driver side does not. It was also a little wet on the inside joint.

Would it be a fair assumption that this is the cause? Should there be any play in these? Can I replace just the passenger side, or should I do both sides? What would be a decent replacement? This car is almost at 200k and I really don't care to have the best parts on it, but I also don't want to have to do it again in a couple months.

Thanks a million for the help.

maxwedge
06-25-2017, 08:34 AM
When removed you can check the inner joint by moving it in and out in the boot, there should be no binding, or sticking at one point, takes a little experience to feel this. Reman axles are cheap for these cars. Also check your motor and trans mounts.

Tech II
06-25-2017, 12:18 PM
Sure this is not a misfire?

nemets88
06-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Sure this is not a misfire?

No, I can't be 100% sure. It certainly feels like the vibration is caused by something mechanical in the suspension/wheel area. I have no engine code, and the car runs fine normally.

I just bought a cv axle, and I'm hoping to get it in the mail in the next couple days. I'm thinking this is the culprit. I will swap it out and report back.

nemets88
07-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Well I just dropped a new axle into the passenger side, where I thought the source of the vibration was coming from. No dice. Got on the highway up to 70mph, and the car started shaking like crazy still.

Any other ideas?

maxwedge
07-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Closely checked the motor and trans mounts? You may be at the point where an experienced tech should drive the car for some help.

Johnny R
07-01-2017, 09:13 PM
With all due respect, it surprises me that a vehicle owner will take a stab in the dark and install replacement parts in the hope that it fixes the problem, all the while not knowing what the problem is. Often this is more expensive that a trip to the mechanic. I am living testimony to the fact that guesswork is pricey!

nemets88
07-03-2017, 10:40 PM
With all due respect, it surprises me that a vehicle owner will take a stab in the dark and install replacement parts in the hope that it fixes the problem, all the while not knowing what the problem is. Often this is more expensive that a trip to the mechanic. I am living testimony to the fact that guesswork is pricey!

Agreed. Axle only cost me $40. But I am at a loss as to what is causing this, and I know that mechanics can be pricey as well. I plan to take it to a buddy that does auto work for a living to at least get a diagnosis.

I found that my right front caliper was sticking intermittently, so I swapped that out. Took it for a drive, and while the vibration was definitely less aggressive, I still felt some. Still need to bleed the brakes a bit more, but that definitely was an issue that needed to be fixed.

When rechecking suspension components, I found a bottom motor mount was missing a nut, and the other was loose. Cranked that down, but it didn't seem to help the problem. Other side looked good.

I really appreciate the help, and I'll continue to do some digging and report back my findings. Please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks!

nemets88
07-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Well I think I've got the problem fixed. After swapping out the caliper, I no longer have the death shake. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Add your comment to this topic!