how much boost can a stock ls motor handle?

integragsr98
07-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Hello guys,

After lil researching and reading, i decided to turbocharge my ls engine instead of getting the gsr swap. I was just wondering how much lbs of boost can a stock ls engine handle safely on the street? Also...which BOV sounds the best? i've heard the blitz bov sounds awesome... any ideas or help would be appreciated. thanks

kittedb18bt
07-03-2003, 10:43 AM
you can boost 12psi on a stock ls. this high of boost is only possible with perfect tuning. if i ever got a turbo i still would not boost over 9psi stock.

integragsr98
07-03-2003, 03:26 PM
what you guys think i can get to build up the engine with about $1000?

PWMAN
07-03-2003, 03:30 PM
I agree 12 PSI in the safe amount of max boost you can run. I've seen 14, but I wouldn't try it. He is what everything can usually handle safely:rods-12 PSI, pistons -12 PSI, stock sleeves-14 PSI, stock sleeves with block guard-16-18 PSI.
Most people boost around 10 PSI on a stock engine with less than 100K miles on it. If it's less than 50K miles than I say go for 12 PSI, it will make your BOV sound better. But get Hondata no matter what you boost, it will save your engine trust me. And make sure you completely upgrade your fuel system, upgraded ignition will help too. Also for exhaust, to a turbo apllication bigger is better, no backpressure is needed. Most people run 3'' straight pipe for maximum power, this would be a good 40-50 HP improvement over stock exhaust and 25-30 HP improvement over most aftermarket cat-backs that are 2.5''. Some are even 2.25'', forget that crap. Go with 3'' if you can. And if you are worried about how loud it will be with straightpipe, don't be because the turbo muffles the exhaust a lot. Also if you must run a CAT that quiets exhaust a little also.

PWMAN
07-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by integragsr98
what you guys think i can get to build up the engine with about $1000?

Use this money to upgrade fuel system and buy Hondata and an exhaust system. What turbo kit are you going with?

integragsr98
07-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the reply man,

I bought a custom turbo kit out of a LS, the kit includes a T3/T4 Garrett turbocharger, Custom turbo manifold (looks like the one from drag), Tial waste gate with a custom dump pipe pointed away from the intercooler equipped with a 6.8 psi spring ( i think i ma need a boost controller ) HKS Super Sequential Blow Off Valve, PWR Intercooler, vortech FMU, and a new 3 inch cat. I was going to buy a greddy evo exhaust system, never thought of the big difference with the 3" pipes, but i wouldn't trust these guys down here to make anything, i'll drive around this weekend and see, how much they usually cost to custom make the pipes? Besides that, which exhaust system would be the best for the turbo beside greddy? I was looking at the hondata site, which hondata system would be best for my apps..?

Thanks
CW

PWMAN
07-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Thermal Research has the best exhaust. I think it's:
www.thermalrd.com
As for the hondata, you get what you pay for is a good slogan here. Just find the cheapest setup, then the most expensive and buy somewhere in between. I am not personally familiar with using hondata, but I know they are good.

b18c dx
07-04-2003, 03:06 PM
my friend has a built b18c1 and he is using a stage 3b. his engine is also turbo'd

PWMAN
07-04-2003, 03:19 PM
How much boost is he running?

93weed_eater
07-05-2003, 01:20 AM
It might be hard to find someone to do the custom setup on the exhaust i think. some shops don't even do 3" pipeing. But if you can find it go for it. you'll save alot over an after market kit. use that $1000 dollers for the hondata system. you should go with the stage 2 with boost option. hondata is a lil price but its really worth it from what ive seen. you'll also need some cash for tuneing and dyno time. hence the $1000. It may seem steep but you'll get the best from your set up.
www.hondata.com
look around the site and find a hondata dealer around you.

YOUNGSTER
07-05-2003, 01:37 AM
ive heard that alot of ls's run like 15 lbs.

PWMAN
07-05-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by YOUNGSTER
ive heard that alot of ls's run like 15 lbs.

Thats a pretty dangerous number, probably won't last long with that abuse. 12 PSI is the usual ''safe'' number, but I've heard 14 plenty of times going for about 2 years.

integragsr98
07-05-2003, 10:32 PM
thanks for the help guys,

beside the hondata, how is the greddy e-manage system? is it a good tuning tool and will i be able to tune the car myself assuming i have no tuning experience?

YOUNGSTER
07-06-2003, 12:21 AM
i wouldnt recomend doing any tuning with no experience ah and i forgot \the name of the aem stand alone system whats it called oh yeah ems

mellowboy
07-07-2003, 09:29 AM
I've seen most run 12 psi with stock internals. THey have full fuel upgrade and ignition but they also got it tuned. Its all about the tuning really. I do agree with PWMAN. I would just upgrade the internals just to be on the safe side you can say.

PWMAN
07-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by mellowboy
THey have full fuel upgrade and ignition but they also got it tuned. ''

Oh well I assumed someone who's going to run 12 PSI and get fuel upgrades/ignition upgrades would be competant enough to tune their vehicle. I have been known to assume too much in the past, so oh well. Thanks for bringing it up though, just in case.

integragsr98
07-08-2003, 08:06 AM
yea..i just calling places in the phone book hoping to find a shop for dyno and tune my car, unfortunately...have no luck yet on this stupid island (Virgin Islands) :swear: ...Wha kinda fuel upgrades do you guys suggest to get to run 12psi of boost?

PWMAN
07-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by integragsr98
Wha kinda fuel upgrades do you guys suggest to get to run 12psi of boost?

Everything besides fuel rail. The stock fuel rail can handle like 400 HP levels I've heard. So fuel pump, injectors, FPR, FMU, etc.

Add your comment to this topic!