Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

old bastard suburban skids to a stop, rear brakes?

Alice
05-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Hello again, been a while. Old suburban 95, 6.5 Diesel. daily driver, been skidding at all the stop signs. Had the front brakes done, now shes off to the shop for the rear. got an estimate... 9091$ Canadian. What are the chances it doesn't need drums at $300 each? And if it needs one new drum, do I replace both anyway?

rhandwor
05-07-2017, 06:28 AM
I think you should get another estimate. Unless it's dismantled it's impossible to give a valid estimate.

j cAT
05-07-2017, 07:01 AM
well auto zone has drums for $70 USD.......... so CANADIAN dollar will be about $150 ea... replace both drums and shoes . make sure the parking brake cable is properly adjusted after the brakes are all set in place. the parking brake cable may require adjusting when the NEW drums are used. the drums wear out more now , because of the banned use of asbestos shoe material .. the replacement material is more abrasive on the metal drums.. I am thinking $500 Canadian to do this .

Alice
05-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Thanks! I asked him for at worst price. theres and 11 inch drum and a 13. Unfortunately the 13" is the $300 ones. best case, I been easy on the drums and we just need the pads and stuff. Would pay 3-400$CDN then when you subtract the drums. I heard those drums can last forever, hoping that's the case, just spent a pile of money on a new rad. Running better than usual today, rear breaks would be nice. no matter how gentle you break it always ends with a little skid.

j cAT
05-08-2017, 07:39 AM
no brake drums last forever so even if you paid $1000 ea .. they will wear down ..most times these are replaced @70K miles .. I would look up the part stores on line like autozone or others and have them shipped to your location rather than pay the $300ea... if the stores are close to you have shipped to store. I looked up your vehicle and it was stated for it @$75USD.

these are 13 inches / 329 MM http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-drum-rear/duralast-brake-drum-rear/22194_0_0

kenman1717
05-09-2017, 02:13 PM
The fact they are grabbing and skidding the truck to a stop, makes me wonder are the hub seals leaking all over the brake shoes?

Add your comment to this topic!