Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Engine/Electrical Problem

Shane W.
04-26-2017, 03:17 PM
I have just recently bought a beater '95 Lumina, 3.1 L 60 degree V6. I have been driving it for about a week now, and when idling the temp gauge climbs a tad more than it should, about halfway between normal (dead middle) and hot. It also stutters a little while idling, but kicks some when driving. I also have an electrical issue, my cruise control worked just fine until I had to unexpectedly jam on my brakes to avoid a collision, ever since, my control doesn't respond, even pushing it inward towards the column to accelerate refuses. Any help would be appreciated gents, thanks!

Schurkey
04-27-2017, 01:00 PM
when idling the temp gauge climbs a tad more than it should, about halfway between normal (dead middle) and hot.
Verify actual engine coolant temperature. Inaccurate dash gauges are common, as are failed engine cooling fans and defective radiators.

It also stutters a little while idling, but kicks some when driving.
When was the last time tune-up services were provided? How old are the spark plugs and plug wires? Has the throttle body and the EGR passages been cleaned lately? There's a hundred things that could cause these problems.

I also have an electrical issue, my cruise control worked just fine until I had to unexpectedly jam on my brakes to avoid a collision, ever since, my control doesn't respond, even pushing it inward towards the column to accelerate refuses.
How do you know that this is "electrical" and not a vacuum problem?

Add your comment to this topic!