Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

P0300 on 2002 Grand Am 2.2 ecotec Intermittent missing, low power and moments of former glory after changing part after part.

oneatatime
04-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Anyone with some answers I am all ears!!

Current problem:
Intermittent missing, low power and moments of former glory after changing part after part.

Over the last several days of changing successive parts, the car runs and performs great anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes and then its right back to square one with massive sputtering.

History:
About a week ago we were between points A and B on a 45 mile trip. About 1/2 way we lost power, but there were no leaks and oil pressure and water temp were good so we "limped" it into our destination. Upon opening the hood I discovered there was a LOT of heat pouring out. I was actually afraid I may have pushed it too far and ruined something. This is where our parts changing adventures began last week.

Chronology of Parts Changing with Result:

Round 1
Action: Changed Catalytic Converter
Result: Ran like a new car for about 10 miles and then right back to flashing dash lights and P0300

Round 2,3,4,5 over a 5 day period
Action: Changed out (got parts from local junk yard)
Coil pack w/ignition control module
Spark plugs with new boots
Fuel Rail w/new (used) injectors and fuel regulator
Checked fuel pressure (55-60 psi)
Sprayed intake looking for leaks (no leaks)
Found that this 2.2 does not have an EGR valve
Found that this 2.2 does not have a camshaft positioning sensor
Changed out the ECM and reprogrammed
Cleaned the Mass Airflow sensor (was dirty)
Put in premium gas with fuel injector cleaner
Cleaned ground cables to fire wall and engine.

Current status summary:

The most recent part changed from the above list was the fuel rail w/injectors and just like nearly "every part replacement" the car started and performed great-- And THEN... We even took it out on the Interstate and thought we had the problem licked.

Its like we have this care that is hungry for replacement parts and rewards us by running great and then fails again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

bernteck
04-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Water in the gas may cause random misfires but more likely with vehicle moving and should clear soon after stopping. An injector wire intermittently shorted to ground. if the engine is misfiring at idle you can remove the injector wire connectors one at a time to determine witch cylinder is misfiring then inspect that cylinder components. OEM spark plugs (Bosch spark plugs will likely run very poorly in this engine). Also check for wire harness chaffing by the oil filter (sharp engine corner) and the purge solenoid bracket.

Add your comment to this topic!