Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Operating my power window

hotpipes
03-22-2017, 08:13 AM
I have my 02 Chevy Malibu passenger side front door on the bench and I want to power the window up so that I can remove the door lock. I'm in the process of replacing the original door because it was damaged.

My Question is can I use a small 12 volt battery to operate the window without the door being attached to the car. I am worried that it won't be grounded as it would be when mounted on the car?

hotpipes

brcidd
03-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Sure- the motor is reversible, just jump positive to one terminal of the motor and negative to the other, then reverse the polarity (swap terminal leads) to reverse motor direction if needed.

hotpipes
03-22-2017, 11:45 AM
And there is no concern that the door is not attached to the car for a good ground?

StumpedGMowner1
03-22-2017, 12:25 PM
No concern with door being ground. You are attaching a ground lead when you connect the battery. Also i believe if you look close the window regulator motor is on rubber mounts the the bolts go thru. Not sure on your model but i have bench tested alot of doors without them.on the car for door lock and window motor function befor reinstalling the door.

brcidd
03-22-2017, 07:14 PM
Your "ground" is coming out of your test battery negative terminal when bench checking- forget the car battery ground- besides car ground flows reversible through motor itself when activated- having nothing to do with vehicle ground.

hotpipes
03-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Thank for clearing this up for me. It's good to know that I won't damage anything.

Add your comment to this topic!