Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front speaker issue

Oldsforever
02-28-2017, 06:49 PM
Hello,

I recently installed new front speakers in my 2003 Alero. I tested them out and reinstalled the door panel. After I put the door panel in place, on the right side I cut the wires off of the tweeter as the directions I got said that I needed to disable any separate tweeter and now there is no sound coming out of the right front speaker.:banghead:

Is the reason why I am not getting any sound because the circuit is not complete?

Can I fix this by taking the tweeter red and black wires and twisting them together to complete the circuit?

What was the correct method to disable the twetter?

Also how does one disengage the white plastic clip that connects the tweeter. I could not seem to pull it apart.

Thanks for your help

Stealthee
02-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Twisting the two wires together will likely cause clipping. I have no idea why it would tell you to disable the stock tweeter. I'd just leave them in.

Oldsforever
02-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't there be a conflict between the old tweeter and the one in the new speaker?

Is the cut wires the cause of my problems?

Thanks

Stealthee
02-28-2017, 08:05 PM
A lot of factory audio systems with a separate tweeter are run in series so yes the cut wires are most likely at fault.

I really don't understand how the factory tweeters would conflict with the new speaker.

Oldsforever
02-28-2017, 08:17 PM
The warning on the box stated that "If there is a tweeter already installed then you must disconnect its terminals. if you leave the original tweeter connected and connect this product in parallel, then a fault may develop in this product." Was there a different way of safely disconnect the tweeter?

How can I fix this? The original wires were soldered on. Would these work to reattach the tweeter. Fully Insulated Wire Terminals Connector Nylon Spade Connectors 22-18 AWG.

Thanks again!!

Add your comment to this topic!