Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Polaroid PBC-56J wireless backup camera

iretired95
01-30-2017, 11:53 AM
I want to find out if I can connect the camera to the backup wiring so the camera turns on when in reverse? The receiver plugs into the 12 volt plug in the console of the car. Supposed to operate wirelessly. Does the Equinox have any constraints when hooking up additional items like wireless camera's to the backup wiring?

I tried this hookup on my 2002 Ford Windstar and it will not work. I have found out Windstar's made after 1999 has the wiring so it cannot handle additional hookups. Hoping Equinox hasn't the same constraints.

Ruley73
02-01-2017, 04:27 PM
I want to find out if I can connect the camera to the backup wiring so the camera turns on when in reverse? The receiver plugs into the 12 volt plug in the console of the car. Supposed to operate wirelessly. Does the Equinox have any constraints when hooking up additional items like wireless camera's to the backup wiring?

I tried this hookup on my 2002 Ford Windstar and it will not work. I have found out Windstar's made after 1999 has the wiring so it cannot handle additional hookups. Hoping Equinox hasn't the same constraints.

What year is your Equinox? When you say "backup wiring", what exactly do you mean?

AFAIK you you should be able to tap into the reverse light circuit of any Equinox. It's 12 volts and wouldn't be any different than adding trailer light wiring.

iretired95
02-01-2017, 04:43 PM
It' 2007 Equinox. So you think hooking up at the taillight reverse bulb won't cause a problem? This way the monitor will only come on when I put the car in reverse.
Couldn't do this in my 2002 Windstar as all the monitor did was flicker. Yet if I put the camera across the battery I would get a clear look from the camera.

Thanks for your help.
Bob

Ruley73
02-01-2017, 11:40 PM
It' 2007 Equinox. So you think hooking up at the taillight reverse bulb won't cause a problem? This way the monitor will only come on when I put the car in reverse.
Couldn't do this in my 2002 Windstar as all the monitor did was flicker. Yet if I put the camera across the battery I would get a clear look from the camera.

Thanks for your help.
Bob

You could try connecting directly to the reverse light circuit and see if it works. If it doesn't, just implement a relay for the camera's power connection. Use the reverse light circuit as your trigger signal to close the relay.

Add your comment to this topic!