Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Suburban 2500 Rear Gas Tank

BobbyOlson
12-23-2016, 07:29 AM
I have run into a problem of my 2002 Chevy Suburban 2500 rear gas tank needs to be replaced. We have the main gas tank and then the one in the rear that is above the spare tire. Each tank has it's own fuel filter. Attached is a picture of the tank. Does anyone know where to get a replacement tank?

Blue Bowtie
12-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Welcome Aboard!

I believe these had plastic tanks, correct? The aftermarket doesn't seem to offer much, but a salvage yard might have one. Since a plastic tank would not rust, it should be safe to install a salvage tank without worries.

Also, if the tank is cracked or split it might be repairable. Many places can weld plastic.

BobbyOlson
12-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Thank you, the dual exhaust broke off and we drove it without it on there and the heat from the exhaust melted it a little, so it's a bit disfigured and a small hole. I was going to put some JB Weld for plastic on there but didn't want to waste my time if we could find another one.

Blue Bowtie
12-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Epoxy may not work very well. The tanks are usually polyethylene and most epoxies don't bond to that very well, JB Weld included. A welded-on patch would likely be more reliable, but if you find a good used one that would surely answer it.

Add your comment to this topic!