Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No crank, starter relay does not get energized

gromittoo
12-01-2016, 01:06 PM
This is a continuation of the following thread, with a better title:

"ASD + Fuel Relays chatter in run position zero rpm"
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1149005

OK, I have a "No Crank" problem on my 3.3L 2001 Chrysler Voyager with 159,836 miles on it. It happened with no warning a few days ago, and lots of relays in the power distribution center going on and off randomly.

The battery, Starter, Solenoid, and associated wires and connections are fine. I can say this with certainty because if I remove the "Starter Relay" found in the power distribution box, and I short the output terminals, the starter will crank, and the engine turns over. If I have my wife holding the key in the "Start" position while I short the contacts, I smell gas, but i get no start.

I have wiggled the column shifter til the cows come home, it makes no difference. I have also swapped the starter relay with the rear window defogger relay, and no change.

Looking at my FSM, the "starter relay" is turned on by a wire coming from the PCM being grounded. There is a different wire coming from the "Transmission Range Sensor" (wherever that is) to the PCM that gets grounded in the "Transmission Range Sensor" when in park or Neutral.

I suspect that the Neutral / Park safety mechanism is not working at all. Apparently, simply bypassing the Starter relay is not enough to get the van to start. The Neutral / Park safety signal must be needed to get spark to the engine during cranking.

I would like a work-around to get this van started, so I don't have to tow it. If I can fix it, so much the better. I am really hoping the PCM is OK, but the crazy relay symphony I had on Sunday has me wondering.

Add your comment to this topic!