Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing ECM on 2002 Ford Taurus

libraflo
11-16-2016, 01:42 PM
I have bad ECM and decided to replace unit. It was difficult tp get to the ECM bolts under the hood but have connecting cables free and bolts removed from unit under hood. Now I have to get to the connectors under the dash behind te engine firewall. I was hoping to be able to remove the Temperature control unit and get at the inside connectors. Is there a way to remove the Temperature control unit. Is there a way to get at the ECM connector this way?
TIA

shorod
11-17-2016, 07:07 AM
Are you sure you're removing the PCM? There is only one connector to the PCM.

To remove the climate control head unit, you use Ford Radio Removal tools or fashion your own. Although given the size of the piece being removed, I'd recommend getting the tools versus making some out of a clothes hanger because the tool locks in place and can kind of be used to start pulling the unit from the dash.

You might also want to just open the glove box door all the way and see if you can access the PCM that way, without removing the climate control head unit.

I rarely hear of Ford PCMs failing. Do you mind me asking how you confirmed the PCM is the issue?

-Rod

libraflo
11-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Update: There is only one connector but the gasket was extremely hard to move and I didn't won't to do any damage.
I finally tried with more pressure and was able to get the unit out. I didn't think there was any connectors but there was nothing in the actual ford Taurus manual to really know. I ordered an ECM online from Computer Exchange online for $248 dollars. It takes about 4 days after you get the info off the ECM unit and the Vin number to them.They are located in Raleigh N.C.. I won't post their phone as that might break the forum rules . Hope this helps anyone who needs a replacement ECM module.

Add your comment to this topic!