Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Way to check timing chain?

mjgrantham
11-16-2016, 06:28 AM
Is there a way to check for a worn timing chain without actually tearing the housing apart? What would be some signs a timing chain or its tensioner are wearing out?

gmtech1
11-17-2016, 10:29 AM
Is there a way to check for a worn timing chain without actually tearing the housing apart? What would be some signs a timing chain or its tensioner are wearing out?

No real way to check the chain without accessing it. Usually they get noisy when worn.

mjgrantham
11-17-2016, 05:45 PM
What kind of noise would I hear? Do you think I'd be able to distinguish the noise by scoping the timing chain housing with, say, a long screwdriver?

gmtech1
11-18-2016, 11:49 AM
To me, it sounds like a fast sewing machine. What are you working on?

mjgrantham
11-19-2016, 01:38 PM
2001 Pontiac Montana, 253k miles. I got it at 229k and it has always been a noisier engine from inside the van, mainly during acceleration and under heavier load. It's kind of a whirring/hissing/scraping/rubbing sound. From outside at idle it's amazingly quiet. 4th gear has been gone for who knows how long, so engine wear is that much greater. Years ago I had a Beretta 2.8 3-speed that had a similar noise, but I only noticed it in reverse so I though it was trans related. After several thousand miles of this the timing chain broke at 70 mph. When I opened it up, the chain tensioner glide bracket bolts were completely loose and the bracket destroyed beyond recognition as the chain had rubbed thru it and essentially caused it to latch onto the chain and snap it. I'm sure that was the noise I was hearing all that time. I'm concerned this could be the case here, but I don't want to spend more time or money on it. I guess I'm just asking because I'm curious if others have had something like this happen and what anyone might have to say about it.

fnutah
12-09-2016, 06:11 PM
i have had some luck with compression check but if it hasnt had 1 replaced at 250k pluss it needs 1 im certain.

Add your comment to this topic!