Page updated on 07-24-2017

Adding a motor to the Tamiya Porsche GT2

Some_Kid
11-06-2016, 11:03 AM
Hey guys I was just wondering if I want to make this model full detail with an engine. What kit should I be looking for to take the engine from. I know revell makes a 911 slant nose, 911 turbo and that Italeri has a 993 but I'm not sure if any of those would be accurate to the 911 gt2. But at the end of the day a motor that would be extremely close is better than nothing.

Any thoughts?

lovegt40
11-06-2016, 03:44 PM
I think the engine inside italeri model kit is the unit from 964.
It should be similar to 993s, just I suspect the gt2 was a turbo car.
As u said...better than nothing. I am personally surprised why HD still didnt make a so important motor in resin.

Layla's Keeper
11-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Truth be told, I'd likely start with the block and heads from one of the 911GT1 kits on the market and work from there. Being that they are contemporaries, they ought to have enough physical similarities to be useful.

Further, the Revell/Dragon 911GT1 Evo is a dirt cheap kit due to its usually warped body making it a royal pain to build.

MPWR
11-12-2016, 10:57 AM
1. Don't bother. There is little less satisfying than a 1/24 911 with a good engine in the back. There is almost nothing that can be seen of it.

2. Don't bother. Even less satisfying than a 1/24 911 with an engine is a 1/24 911 Turbo. The intercooler covers up nearly everything that you might otherwise be able to see. And of course the GT2 intercooler is even larger than a standard intercooler. Take a look at the intercooler in the Tamiya kit- fit it in place. Than consider what you could see under it. Really the intake fan is the only thing that is vaguely recognisable. Find some pics of a GT2 engine online. I'm not exaggerating.

3. If you decide you do want to do it, find an Italeri/Revell 993 Turbo kit. Not a great kit, but it does have the beginnings of an engine. The GT2 body actually fits nicely on the Italeri chassis. (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=5802553&postcount=32) But it takes some work to make a decent looking engine of it. (Notice the missing intercooler)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/andrejmiller/GT2-050.jpg

4. Did I mention it's probably not worth the effort? :grinno:

zak78
11-22-2016, 01:26 AM
1. Don't bother. There is little less satisfying than a 1/24 911 with a good engine in the back. There is almost nothing that can be seen of it.

2. Don't bother. Even less satisfying than a 1/24 911 with an engine is a 1/24 911 Turbo. The intercooler covers up nearly everything that you might otherwise be able to see. And of course the GT2 intercooler is even larger than a standard intercooler. Take a look at the intercooler in the Tamiya kit- fit it in place. Than consider what you could see under it. Really the intake fan is the only thing that is vaguely recognisable. Find some pics of a GT2 engine online. I'm not exaggerating.

3. If you decide you do want to do it, find an Italeri/Revell 993 Turbo kit. Not a great kit, but it does have the beginnings of an engine. The GT2 body actually fits nicely on the Italeri chassis. (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=5802553&postcount=32) But it takes some work to make a decent looking engine of it. (Notice the missing intercooler)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/andrejmiller/GT2-050.jpg

4. Did I mention it's probably not worth the effort? :grinno:

I'm in the group that wants a highly-detailed, twin-turbo/ twin-plug 3.6 to replicate 1:1 motor swaps (that might be called "outlaw" nowadays). The Fujimi EM 930 motor seems like a logical starting point for block and heads, IMO. In suggesting this I'm not suggesting that the 930 motor would serve the purpose of building a true replica of the 993 GT2 setup as it came from the factory, but as a stripped, modified, race-ready, "big-turbos" powerplant that could enhance any more-detailed, modified Porsche (G-body, 964, 993, T1 bus Ring Taxi, and so on)

Add your comment to this topic!