Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 ford ranger Idle priblem

Gnomess
11-05-2016, 08:13 PM
1996 ford ranger manual. So today on my way to work I stopped by the store turned my truck off. But when I came out to start it the started went out so I decided to roll start it and after I got it started the truck does not idle right in nutral. I was wondering if roll starting the truck messed something up. Any ideas on this.

65comet
11-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Roll starting shouldn't affect it. Are you sure the no start problem was the starter and not the battery or charging system? Not having a voltage output of a minimum 12 volts can cause the pcm to not control the engine correctly and lead to erratic idle.

Gnomess
11-06-2016, 12:13 AM
Well after I got to work I turned the truck off and it would not start at all so I went under the truck and tapped on the starter and it started right up but I still idles strange.

MikeCStig
11-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Well... that confirms that the starter is on its way out, which could be a symptom of a bigger problem. Check your electrical system. Start with the alternator because that seems like the most likely cause of the symptoms you're describing. If that's not it, just keep checking all things electrical, the problem is in there somewhere.

Add your comment to this topic!