Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brakes lockup and loud hum at 50mph just after new tires

famlycar
11-02-2016, 07:39 PM
hello again.
I thought I had this problem fixed by greasing the caliper pins but no, the problem came back about a week later and has been doing it ever since only when I bought new tires. could the tires be bad even if they are new?
this is a strange one. I had the bearings checked and they are good. I bled the brakes and this helped the lock up issue for now but the loud hum is still there.
Help!

Stealthee
11-03-2016, 05:15 AM
It could be bad tires, but I bet with the brake issues you are having an ABS issue. Maybe a harness got damaged or unplugged when they had your tires off.

famlycar
11-03-2016, 06:39 PM
I don't have abs. The brakes locked up on me again today so bleeding them didn't stop the problem.

Crvett69
11-03-2016, 11:13 PM
sounds like you might have calipers or wheel cyl frozen up

famlycar
11-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Thanks. one thing I forgot to mention is the brake adjuster on the drivers side rear won't adjust very far to get the wheel on as the other side does.
I had to squeeze the shoes together to get the drum on. also my calipers have never been replaced but are very clean especially when I lubed the pins in there.

My e-brake I had to loosen all the way as it has something to do with the lock up I think. Also, It only locks up in the afternoon and never in the morning if this helps.

it's a strange one!:confused:

Crvett69
11-06-2016, 08:10 AM
the springs should hold the shoes together, if not they are shot or there is something wrong in there, sounds like you need to replace the adjuster or take it apart and grease it, sounds like time for a rear brake rebuild with new hardware kit and at least 1 adjuster.

famlycar
11-06-2016, 10:20 AM
ok, I removed that same rear wheel and the drum came off easily and the springs and adjuster appear ok I guess but the adjuster should be replaced you say. the shoes are still good and the drums I replaced last month thinking this would help. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner before doing so.

My front calipers I checked last month and they appeared ok.

famlycar
11-11-2016, 08:39 PM
ok, I replaced that adjuster screw on the driver's side rear brake and those springs and pins as well. The car is not locking up on me anymore as it has been almost a week with no problems. Thanks.

Now I have to find out what is causing the front end to shake at 60+ mph?? It does it when in both drive and neutral if this helps.

famlycar
11-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Ok, I'm slowly learning that the tire shine product had a lot to do with messing up my brakes after all. This stuff is definitely not good for moving parts. This very sticky stuff ended up getting on my brake parts as well as attracted a lot of dirt on my tires making it very hard to wash off later. The tire store didn't even ask me if I wanted it or not. First time I ever had this stuff sprayed on my tires at any tire store. First they spray it all over and then spread it on with a rag. I'm beginning to realize over time that the only one who can repair and take care of an automobile properly is the owner himself and this includes installing tires. It's a real shame.

Stealthee
11-16-2016, 08:09 PM
I honestly think you are grasping at straws with that one. I use tire shine all the time and have never had one issue with brakes.

Add your comment to this topic!