Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Corolla has issues

Wabiska
10-30-2016, 11:09 PM
I have a 2000 Corolla I acquired in June 2013. It has 266,000+ miles on the transmission and roughly 98,000 less on the engine. I had to replace both front struts and mounts the first 6mo I had it. In March 2015 I replaced front wheel bearings, tie rods, and ball joints on both sides. The car has been eating the wheel bearings on the front passenger. By eating, I mean on Oct 25 I had the 8th wheel bearing put in. I've taken it to 4 mechanics; 3 shops and 1 guy in his garage.

The first shop, after they did the 4th bearing and 2 spindles, "diagnosed" it as a bad transmission bearing causing the wheel bearing to go bad so they wouldn't have to honor their warranties. The 2nd shop, after 2 wheel bearings from them, "diagnosed" a bad axle and replaced it. The 7th was done by a guy in his garage. The 8th was done at another shop, who said the steering knuckle might be bad (but didn't actually look at it) and that my car is so unsafe I shouldn't drive it (steering is also very loose). Aside from these issues, the engine is flawless: no leaks, no misfires, no burning, and the transmission shifts smooth and doesn't leak. I don't want to get rid of it, but no one has been able to diagnose the cause of it, and I'm getting tired of replacing the bearing and hub every 2-4 months. Any ideas?

MikeCStig
10-31-2016, 03:50 AM
It sounds to me like your car (with the exception of the engine and transmission) is just falling apart. How much do you really know about the car's history before you bought it? Does it have a salvage title? Has it been through a lot of nasty winter weather? Driven on heavily salted roads? The reason I ask is Toyotas (especially the Corolla) are usually known for their legendary reliability unless they've had a really rough life.
I understand you're sort of attached to the car, but honestly it may be time to say goodbye before you spend a small fortune trying to keep a dying car alive.

Add your comment to this topic!