PA System for my Crown Victoria P71 Interceptor

NotACop
10-19-2016, 08:24 PM
I have a retired crown vic police intercetor and found an old cb radio. The radio has a PA setting and a PA out jack. This gave me an idea. Why dont I use the existing mounting holes in the dash to mount this cb radio, get a loud speaker and then, get that much closer to impersonating a cop.

I do have a few questions. First of all is this legal to do as long as I dont use the PA system while driving?

Secondly does the cb radio probably have it's own amp or would I have to get one?

Lastly what loud speaker would be good for somthing like this? I plan on mounting it under the hood. I found this 112db speaker. Would that be loud enough to be heard from a distance if it's being muffled a bit by the hood and whatnot?
https://www.amazon.com/PSP8-Weather-5-Inch-Trumpet-Speaker/dp/B001D0LMG2/ref=sr_1_1/156-7744044-7311862?ie=UTF8&qid=1476922588&sr=8-1&keywords=automotive+pa+speaker

Of course I would not use this to impersonate a cop because that would be illegal

Stealthee
10-19-2016, 10:03 PM
I know of a few people who added a loudspeaker to their CB setup before.

As long as it is not used in an illegal manner (ie impersonating an officer) I don't see how it would be illegal, though its best you verify with your local laws.

PaulD
10-20-2016, 08:13 AM
the PA output IS an amp but only a few watts, you will need a very efficient PA horn. Mount it in the engine bay low to the ground facing the ground or in the front bumper area facing forward. As for legality, I have no idea but I can't imagine it being illegal, only possibly the way it's used might be illegal.

Add your comment to this topic!