Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Possible To Over Drain Engine Oil?

ST13fred
09-17-2016, 08:20 PM
I recently changed oil/filter in my 08 CRV.
I let it drain for several hours (as I do for all my engines) and refilled to the top dip stick mark with 5.7 quarts of 5W-20 oil. The manual calls for 4.4 quarts with filter change.
Somebody said the oil pump will slowly drain with this practice and could cause cavitation of the oil pump, starving the engine with bad results.
Where else would this 1.3 quarts come from? :confused:

somick
09-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Somebody said the oil pump will slowly drain

Where do you think the oil pump will drain the oil?

This is a closed system. The manual usually give you the full amount of oil filled at the factory. In reality it is a little lower. I would drain the oil and refill it with four quarts. Start the engine and shot it off. This will fill the filter and all the oil lines. Wait about 5 minutes and verify that your oil level is at the specified marks. Good luck, Sam

ST13fred
09-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Yes but 1.3 quarts is not just a little lower but a lot lower. I could find nothing on a web search about possible pump cavitation when an engine is drained fully. In my mind as the pump drains slowly and completely and the pan is refilled, the pump will slowly and completely refill. I would probably wait for perhaps an hour before starting the engine to give the pump plenty of time to refill. I also always fill a new filter with oil before installing it.

somick
09-19-2016, 09:23 AM
In my mind as the pump drains slowly and completely and the pan is refilled, the pump will slowly and completely refill. .The pump as any other component will not refill. All oil goes down and ends up in the pan. Your job is to keep the level at the correct marks.

Sam

Add your comment to this topic!