Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Different tire sizes on rear dually...problems??

44dave44
09-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Odd question. Will running different tire sizes cause any stress to drivetrain or suspension? My thinking it will be easier on the suspension, if anything, and nothing on the drivetrain since each side is even.
eg: 285/70/17 on the inners and 275/70/17 (maybe even 265)on the outers.

Possibly P rated on the inner and E on the outer (to retain durability)

I'm trying to improve the ride since my utility truck isn't used for heavy weight and my stuff gets bounced around too much. Rather not touch the suspension.

I know I know the inners will get worn faster but that's fine I'll replace them as it goes. Besides, as it stands now with identical sizes, the outers get worn about 25% faster. May counter that some as well.

Not a 4x4.

Chris Stewart
09-12-2016, 06:49 PM
All 8 of the drive tires on the dumptruck I drive are the same size.
If unlike sizes worked, it would have unlike size.

Stale Trooper
09-29-2016, 10:30 AM
[quote=44dave44;7189860]Odd question. Will running different tire sizes cause any stress to drivetrain or suspension? My thinking it will be easier on the suspension, if anything, and nothing on the drivetrain since each side is even.
Think about this: I used to work for a county fire department, the department mechanic changed out 2 tires on the rear of one of our water tankers (single axle, dual wheels) he put the new tires on the inside of the duals, the old tires on the outsides. the next fire run the truck responded to it rolled, killing the driver. the cause was pointed out in the accident investigation. Photos showed the outer tires were completely off the ground when the vehicle was at rest. That being said, even if you put the bigger (newer) tires on the outside, they are going to be worked harder, because the inner tires are not carrying as much of the load as the outers are, causing the outers to wear out at a faster rate, resulting in potential blow outs. The good side of that would be, you wouldn't have to remove a good tire to change the flat.

Chris Stewart
10-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Wow, that was a glaring example although I regret the loss of a fine Fireman,
Thanks ST!

Add your comment to this topic!