Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is this rim damage unsafe or just cosmetic?

Pickngrin
09-11-2016, 06:44 AM
Hi-
I'm looking for a second set of rims (for snow tires) for my Saan 9-3. Someone on Craigslist is advertising a set of 4, with 1 damaged (see pic). Does this appear to be unsafe or just cosmetic?
Thanks
PnG

MikeCStig
09-11-2016, 04:05 PM
Don't risk it. That big chunk missing looks like it might be problematic as far as sealing a tire around it.

Pickngrin
09-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Thank you for your input. I will not pursue those.

jasongraygits
09-16-2016, 04:59 AM
I suggest you not to take risk in this matter it seems like it is unsafe.

Copytech99
09-16-2016, 01:07 PM
^^^ Great advice.......Pass.

Pickngrin
09-16-2016, 01:17 PM
I appreciate all of the advice. I did not follow up on those rims. I'm glad that I asked.
Thanks again.

iracing
09-20-2016, 09:59 PM
You definitely have to change a new rim.

See how a piece of the rim was missing? this is where rims hold tire bead in place. with that missing tire pressure will drop.

In addition, I saw burn marks on the edge of your rim. You must drove a substantial distance after flat tire. Now the rim has lost its strength due to heat. Any rim retailer would tell you to replace it ASAP.

Pickngrin
09-20-2016, 10:23 PM
You definitely have to change a new rim.

See how a piece of the rim was missing? this is where rims hold tire bead in place. with that missing tire pressure will drop.

In addition, I saw burn marks on the edge of your rim. You must drove a substantial distance after flat tire. Now the rim has lost its strength due to heat. Any rim retailer would tell you to replace it ASAP.

Thank you. These are not my rims. I saw them advertised on Craigslist and did not investigate further after the helpful advice I received here.

Add your comment to this topic!