Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Successful fix: Dancing gauges; bouncing needles; crazy dash

phil-l
09-07-2016, 09:07 AM
A short repair report:

My '00 Windstar started exhibiting a common failure: The dashboard gauge needles would bounce wildly, occasionally jamming needles. A hard pound on the top of the dashboard would often restore correct operation - but only temporarily. Want to see an example? Just go to YouTube and search for "Windstar gauges"; there are lots of sample videos out there.

I performed the repair procedure as outlined in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JJwHv2pXg

...and it has appeared to have solved my gauge problem.

The fix involves re-soldering a failure-prone series of connector pins on a printed circuit board within the gauge cluster.

Yes, I realize the above sentence conceals several challenges, and may scare many people away.

I'm here to report that it wasn't that bad, and that if you have some decent electronic hobbyist skills (or know someone who does), you can do it too.

I used this video to learn how to remove the gauge cluster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6amRNyp_w

I was able to get the cluster out of the dash - without damage - in about half an hour.

Disassembling the gauge cluster and re-soldering it probably took an hour (I took my time - and am not including in that time opportunities I took to teach my kids about electronic repair).

Reinstalling the gauge cluster took another half hour (again, without damaging other things in the car).

So: If you have the infamous Windstar gauge problem, this fix really appears to repair it, and it is readily doable by a reasonably-skilled DIYer.

Mac2002
09-11-2016, 05:03 AM
I fixed the Gauges Gone Wild on my 2000 windstar about 6 months ago the same way. I was already half way to removing the gauge cluster when I had to repair the OD switch wiring. It had rubbed thru and was blowing fuses. So I went ahead and removed the gauges and resoldered the offending pins. As you said, it was not that difficult.

xiaodoupi
09-11-2016, 09:14 PM
I repaired mine ~1 year ago. It's like most of this situation. I found weld point on the board cracked due to age or vibration. Just reweld this and several supected points.
Overall difficulty: 3/10

phil-l
09-12-2016, 07:50 AM
... when I had to repair the OD switch wiring. It had rubbed thru and was blowing fuses. So I went ahead and removed the gauges and resoldered the offending pins. As you said, it was not that difficult.

Mac2002 -

Where did the OD switching wiring rub through? I haven't seen that issue on my '00.

Mac2002
09-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Phil, I think it was where the od switch wire passed over the head of the pin that holds the shifter in. Every time the van was shifted in and of gear, it rubbed just a little bit. 16 years of this resulted in a blown fuse, inoperable od and an inoperable compass. Easy to find and fix.

phil-l
09-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Mac2002 -

Thanks for the info! I'll have to watch for that in my van.

Add your comment to this topic!