Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starts weird when wet out

Backwoods123
08-31-2016, 06:26 AM
How's it going guys, I'm new to the forum... My name is josh.... I have an S-10 2003, 2.2L, 130,000, truck has never given me an issue besides the starter a couple years ago but about 2 and half months ago I get in my truck in the morning to start it and it started but seemed to be a sluggish hard extended start, it didn't in the morning that week maybe 3 times... And the next week, then stopped for about a month and then one morning it did it again... And it's been doing it the pat couple mornings... And k notice it seems to to do it when it's wet or moist out in the morning otherwise any other time it starts right up in 1-2 seconds... I need help with this one

MikeCStig
08-31-2016, 08:13 PM
What you're describing isn't unusual at all. It just your truck showing it's age, nothing to get too alarmed about. The seals in various parts of the ignition system are probably wearing out and allowing moisture in. I'm thinking a tune-up would be a good idea. New plugs, wires, and distributor cap (if your truck has a distributor, I can't remember) will help, and also just going through the entire ignition system and replacing the seals.

Backwoods123
09-01-2016, 06:31 AM
Appreciate the advice man

Blue Bowtie
09-01-2016, 06:52 PM
My '96 has about 210K on the 134-inch four-holer. I've had spark plug wires suffer insulation breakdown, causing a similar symptom.. It's also a good idea to clean the coil packs and apply dielectric grease to the boots at the connection points. Of course, the spark plugs should have been changed about 30K ago, and it they were not replaced with OEM platinums their life expectancy is lower. Back in the day, "regular" plugs that lasted 20,000 miles were about due for change. It you installed regular old steel plugs at the 100,000 mile change interval those "new" plugs could be about done by now.

Add your comment to this topic!