Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Camry Intermittent No Start

hammarobbie
08-23-2016, 11:14 PM
I have a 93 Camry that has an intermittent no start problem.It cranks fine but just won't fire at times. When the engine starts it runs great The Check engine light isn't on but I have pulled DTC 12 and the tachometer doesn't work. I have replaced the distributor due to a leaking seal four years ago and then two years ago due to another leak(Napa,under warranty) and this time there is no leak. I am thinking that I may have an igniter going bad and am wondering how to test one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. P.S. engine is 2.2 L4 and no start is due to no spark, car has 211k miles on it and I've owned it since 60k

Mike Gerber
08-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Rather than check the ignitor for a no start condition, I would check the coil inside the distributor for a hairline crack. Cracks in the plastic of the coil are more common than problems with the ignitor. Remove the coil from the distributor and inspect it all over for cracks.

Mike

Brian R.
08-25-2016, 09:20 AM
You have to replace the ignitor with a good unit to test the old one. Mike is correct about the ignition coil. Also, you can't reliably test the ignition coil by resistance. The high voltages in the coil may be leaking and you can't test for that with a normal volt ohmmeter.

Cressidaadr
09-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Rather than check the ignitor for a no start condition, I would check the coil inside the distributor for a hairline crack. Cracks in the plastic of the coil are more common than problems with the ignitor. Remove the coil from the distributor and inspect it all over for cracks.

Mike

I think I observed a crack in my coil a year ago but it ohm'd out perfect and no problems that I know of.

Is a crack in the coil usually going to be the kiss of death? If so maybe I better go back in and look it over again.

Mike Gerber
09-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Eventually it will cause problems. As the car and that coil heat up, that crack will expand. The spark will then short itself to ground on any metal inside the distributor. Also, cracks in the coil can really become problematic in wet/damp conditions. It's cheap and easy to replace it with an aftermarket coil.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!