Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC not working

mts56
08-12-2016, 12:30 PM
My AC quit working after we checked it and added some freon . It should start blowing warm air off and on. When AC would cycle the engine acted like it was going to die.I went to put gauge on it and noticed bubbles coming around the stem on low side I released some air or freon then tightened it back up no bubbles. Put gauge and can of freon on was just in the edge of blue area so I added so freon then the clutch didn't seem like it was kicking on then the gauge went to the red area any ideas what I might be able to do .Have a seven hour trip back to northwest Ohio Monday mourning

bellaCuba
08-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Roll the windows down. AC is not for the DIYer, honestly. Without a set of manifold gauges and a good knowledge of how the system operates, the DIYer can usually do more harm than good. The newer vehicles are even more sensitive to too high or too low of freon or oil levels. So sensitive that only an ounce or two off, can cause it not to function. Also, many DIYers like to use freon with additives... leak stop, oils, etc. This can also have an adverse effect on the AC system, as some of those additives aren't compatible with what your system calls for. Best to have it checked by a repair shop, IMO.

Best of luck, and sorry to sound so pessimistic but I want to give an honest answer.

j cAT
09-25-2016, 07:23 AM
My AC quit working after we checked it and added some freon . It should start blowing warm air off and on. When AC would cycle the engine acted like it was going to die.I went to put gauge on it and noticed bubbles coming around the stem on low side I released some air or freon then tightened it back up no bubbles. Put gauge and can of freon on was just in the edge of blue area so I added so freon then the clutch didn't seem like it was kicking on then the gauge went to the red area any ideas what I might be able to do .Have a seven hour trip back to northwest Ohio Monday mourning

you added some refrigerant and it then the low side fitting was making bubbles that would be a bad valve leak. with the charging gauge on the low side and the compressor shuts down the gauge will go up to 100PSI RED zone. when compressor runs then it should drop down to the 20-45PSI area. AIR TEMP @80 deg F low side 40 psi / high side 225PSI. doors windows open ac fan on max. leak additives can block the flow. orifice gets plugged up. if its other than a charging problem best have ac shop look at it.

Add your comment to this topic!