Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lesabre car inspection

badbascomb
08-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Hi I am based in the UK and looking at a 67 Lesabre from Country Classic Cars based off the route 66 Staunton Illinois. Just wondering if there is anybody who could possibly do a car inspection as I can't get to the US and am looking at buying a car over the net and wish to avoid as many basket cases as I can. I have read some reviews and the consensus is to check and double check their cars, hence this post. Many thanks Jim

Blue Bowtie
08-01-2016, 07:06 PM
There is a good chance that we have some members around the Saint Louis area.

maxwedge
08-02-2016, 06:23 AM
Jim, there are nationwide pre purchase inspection companies all around the country, most are listed in Hemmings news, or Google for them.

badbascomb
08-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Hi thanks for your replies. I have seen the companies listed on a google search but have no idea who to use there are so many, I will try and get a few quotes. I was hoping that a member may have been in there and had an idea before I went down the official line. I think I had one quote of around 500 bucks which seemed a lot, I don't know, is that the going rate? Thanks again Blue Bowtie and Maxwedge

bellaCuba
08-03-2016, 10:46 PM
A typical vehicle inspection would or should be about 1 to 2 hrs labor. Into US dollars & depending on the shop hourly rate you're looking at $80-$200. Those are fair prices for both parties. Includes looking at the suspension, brakes, steering, lighting, belts and any other areas for safety. Then looking at the fluids to determine wear, like the trans, brakes, power steering or coolant & then inspecting for leaks and recording where & if any are found. Vehicle should be driven up to highway speeds, to also check transmission shifting or overheating issues sitting in idle after. These are the checks that I do when I certify a vehicle for a customer... or conducting a thorough check prior to purchase.

As far as who to go to? Only the locals can tell you. Researching on Google for shops & checking various reviews on different sites close to where the vehicle is located. Google maps, yelp, Facebook, etc. Each shop you research, check all platform of reviews. Those would probably give you the best & most honest insight.

Yes, it's a lot of homework but it'll save you money in the end. I hope this helps. Good luck & cheers!

badbascomb
08-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Hi bellaCuba, shame you are not in the St Louis area...many thanks for your reply have sent a couple of emails and am waiting for a reply. It's a hard job sifting through all the rubbish and trying to work out what to buy and avoiding as many pitfalls as possible. It is difficult to work out whether spend a bit less and expect work or spend more and hopefully get something that is sound, particularly buying something old where getting parts for me will be costly and expensive. What I really fancy is a 67 Monterey but trying to get a valuation is not easy and it is over my budget...tricky...but thanks for your time

jim

Add your comment to this topic!