Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 F-350 Crew Cab rear door lock stuck down

Tailwheel
07-25-2016, 10:40 PM
My 96 F-350 Crew Cab driver rear door lock is stuck in the locked position.
I don't have a cause but do now notice that the pass door lock will not operate with the lock/unlock switch. The rear solenoids seem dead. Front door locks are working.
I tried to put a 10-32 coupling nut on the lock riser and pull. The down position is now 1/8-1/4" higher than normal.
This thing is really stuck and is really bad.

So before I start pulling the rear seat and trying to remove the door panel from a closed door; does anyone have a idea on how I might unlock this door? It would be a lot easier to get the panel off if it is open.
Regards

65comet
07-26-2016, 08:01 AM
From what I've read it is usually the actuators. Sometimes if you tap on the door in the area of the actuator while someone else clicks the button they may work temporarily to at least get the doors open again. Other than that, the total pain of pulling the seats from inside is the only way I know.

Tailwheel
07-26-2016, 09:25 AM
Man, this is a bummer. I am really worried about pulling the door panel off with the door closed. They are irreplaceable and getting very old/brittle. I suspect that will break/crack the panel.
I see two possibilities, make a tool that will slide down and pull/push on some lever or maybe there is a short in the power wire to the rear door locks and fixing that might provide a little help.
But thanks for the thoughts.

Add your comment to this topic!