Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to disconnect wiring harness from auto-dimming rear view mirror?

littletonlady
07-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Hello. The rear view mirror in my 2003 Ford Windstar fell off--mostly--the windshield. It is dangling by the wiring harness to which it is connected. I've found several videos on Youtube showing how to re-attach Ford rear view mirrors and even a video showing how to replace a regular rear view mirror on a Mustang with an auto-dimming mirror (like mine).

But, I just need to know how to safely disconnect it from the wire harness AND (if possible) to leave it disconnected should I decide to replace the auto dimming mirror with a regular one (the auto dimming feature has NEVER worked since I bought it used in 2004). Would it be okay to leave the wire disconnected?

bellaCuba
08-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Yes you can leave it disconnected. The main connector is either on the back of the mirror or on the base that slides onto the window tab. It all depends on your mirror. There are 2 or 3 versions at least. You'll need a mini-flathead screwdriver. Take a photo if necessary. Take a photo of where the wire meets the mirror. Good luck!

Also, depending on the version you have, there's a switch for the auto-dimming feature.

Add your comment to this topic!