Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant Leak?

confused...
07-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Can a car break down from a coolant leak? Bf said he has a coolant leak that it was "pouring out". Saw nothing when i looked after we drove it back to his house, he said it was because it was out of coolant now. He is worried it's going to break down on him. When I googled the problem, it said that there should be a low coolant light that comes on. But there isn't, do all cars have that? It isn't over heating, at least not yet, which is surprising because it's in the 90's and we drove it for at least two hours today. Honestly (not to be mean but ) I'm wondering if he has even the slightest clue what he's talking about. Told him he could keep a gallon of water in his car just in case it starts to overheat but he said "I can't drive it like this or it could break down". Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

aleekat
07-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Overheat it, worst case new engine. Temp gauge should give reading. Most auto parts stores have "loan a tool" program. Get a pressure tester for coolant leaks. If it's actually "pouring out", I would not drive it.

MikeCStig
07-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Running an engine without coolant for more than 10 minutes is a dangerous gamble. The list of things that can go wrong is longer than I want to document. It ranges from burning up gaskets and seals resulting in more leaks, to failure of cooling system components, to a complete and catastrophic failure of the engine itself which would mean rebuilding or replacing the engine. I'll be the second to say don't drive it like that.

j cAT
07-20-2016, 07:53 AM
the engine coolant system must have pressure. even if its not leaking coolant , like the pressure cap is defective and is not holding the pressure 14-18 psi . then the coolant will boil that means the water pump cannot pump because its a water pump not an air pump . no flow the temps will soar !

usually these issues happen when winter ends and the ac is put on in a stop go traffic area .

if the coolant drops down with a actual fluid leak to the point of no pump circulation that would cause engine damage. usually the heads crack/distort because its up high on the block and has the most extreme heat.

gmtech1
07-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Can a car break down from a coolant leak? Bf said he has a coolant leak that it was "pouring out". Saw nothing when i looked after we drove it back to his house, he said it was because it was out of coolant now. He is worried it's going to break down on him. When I googled the problem, it said that there should be a low coolant light that comes on. But there isn't, do all cars have that? It isn't over heating, at least not yet, which is surprising because it's in the 90's and we drove it for at least two hours today. Honestly (not to be mean but ) I'm wondering if he has even the slightest clue what he's talking about. Told him he could keep a gallon of water in his car just in case it starts to overheat but he said "I can't drive it like this or it could break down". Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Is he sure it's coolant and not water from the evaporator drain? That can look like a major leak.

j cAT
07-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Is he sure it's coolant and not water from the evaporator drain? That can look like a major leak.

my advice to this person is find another BF...

Add your comment to this topic!