Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C compressor Not shutting off during operation

wra
07-13-2016, 09:38 AM
This is a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo My husband worked on the Jeep. First it was blowing hot air, Got the kit and refrigerant >> brought it home He was getting ready to put it in.... and the fan decided it was going to quit working. The antifreeze boiled out , gage buried itself and I shut the Jeep off. He put in a new radiator fan relay and the fan started working again. He put the refrigerant in it and added the antifreeze back and it was blowing Cold again. After a little while he noticed the compressor Does Not Kick Off UNLESS you turn the air off. What could be wrong??? We are not really good mechanics but we do know how to follow simple suggestions, Please help us As I cannot afford a Huge garage bill at this time. Thank You in advance Wanda

brcidd
07-13-2016, 12:53 PM
A cycling a/c system will only cycle under low load-- as in cool ambient- to avoid freeze-up. If it is above 80 degrees and blower inside is on high, chances of cycling is null....suction pressure is high under high heat transfer- so cycling is not going to happen. To test for cycling- put blower on low speed, use inside air (recirc) and hood open--at 75 degree ambient or less- then see if it cycles...

wra
07-14-2016, 09:34 AM
brcidd: Thank you for your advice. My husband said that he cannot do what you suggested Because the ( blower on the a/c ) will only blow on the windshield area, no matter where you turn the dial. He checked the vapor lines Or whatever he called them and they are hooked up. What steps do we take to fix this ?????/ I know I sound like a duh woman and my husband gets irritated with me constantly, But, when something is not working I want it fixed ,, Does that make sense or not ?????? Please help me Thank You Wanda

brcidd
07-14-2016, 11:44 AM
the vacuum line underhood is broken or cracked- from intake manifold ...

wra
07-14-2016, 02:27 PM
:biggrin: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. She is running like a dream again. You are the BEST ! He put soap water in the line and it shot out from under the battery area and sure enough the line was cracked. Thank You So Much !!! I think he'll rest better now too LOL

Add your comment to this topic!