Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

corolla brakes lockup only after getting new tires

famlycar
07-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Hey all,

My 96 corolla just had all four new tires installed the end of June and ever since my brakes have been locking up. I think it may have come from that sticky tire shine stuff they sprayed on them after being installed.?? I don't know for sure.

Anyway, my car seems like it's dragging something; I pull over and turn the engine off and then start it up and the problems gone till the next day it does it again when first starting the car in the afternoon only as it has been very hot lately. No problems in the morning.

What to do? thanks

somick
07-09-2016, 10:59 AM
I think this is just a coincidence.

When was the last time you serviced your brakes? For a ten year old car the caliper's slide pins have to be lubricated, hardware needs to be cleaned/replaced.

Good luck,
Sam

famlycar
07-09-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm just telling it the way it happened. I've had new tires put on two other times with no problems.

The tire store did say on my receipt, only after they installed the tires, that these tires are 86T as the usual 85 is now obsolete, saying that the handling and stability of the car may change because of it (load limit is different they say).

famlycar
07-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Ok, I did my own brake repairs all these years but no, I never did grease those slide pins. So, I removed the pads and all and removed the pins from those little rubber boots and cleaned up the old black grease from them (which was very little) and cleaned out that chamber as well the best I could. The pins and boots are in excellent shape, though surprisingly, as old as the car is (California cars never get dirty because it never rains here? I guess). I replaced my cheap dirty brake pads with ceramic pads also, as there was a lot of brake dust all the time (I just did this service a few months back along with new rotors.) Possibly the brake dust mixed with that tire shine...?? And, so far there hasn't been any locking of brake issues for the past few days.

Thanks Somick for your help and quick reply!

somick
07-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Ok, I did my own brake repairs all these years but no, I never did grease those slide pins. So, I removed the pads and all and removed the pins from those little rubber boots and cleaned up the old black grease from them (which was very little) and cleaned out that chamber as well the best I could. The pins and boots are in excellent shape, though surprisingly, as old as the car is (California cars never get dirty because it never rains here? I guess). I replaced my cheap dirty brake pads with ceramic pads also, as there was a lot of brake dust all the time (I just did this service a few months back along with new rotors.) Possibly the brake dust mixed with that tire shine...?? And, so far there hasn't been any locking of brake issues for the past few days.

Thanks Somick for your help and quick reply!
I am glad it worked. Hopefully you found the problem.

Sam

Add your comment to this topic!