Lost title and title transfer-who fills out what?

06-28-2016, 12:00 PM
I purchase a used car from a private seller, and as soon as I'm done paying it off she tells me she lost the title and I will need to get a new one. I have forms vtr-34 and 130-u. Are these the correct forms? And does she fill out the center (sections 14-29) of 130-u?

06-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Something doesn't seem right here. You finished paying the car off and now, all of a sudden the title is lost... did you ever see the title? If not, I would wonder whether it ever existed. Or maybe the title does exist, and she's working on a way to rip you off. I could be wrong, but be careful. From here on out, collect and hold onto every piece of paper connected to the car and the fact that you've paid it off. You will need the sellers cooperation to get a new title, I suggest that you record every conversation about this. Since you weren't the one who allegedly "lost" the title, you shouldn't be responsible for the cost of the new title, and trust me, it's not cheap. Keep everything in order with this one, that way if your car that you paid for gets repossessed, you can sue and win.

06-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Thank you but she is a trustworthy person in the community just somewhat scatterbrained.

Add your comment to this topic!